Review | Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid


One of the most popular and proven methods of treating blackheads is through exfoliation. There are several types of exfoliators, but if you are looking to treat blackheads, shrink pores, and decrease sebaceous filaments, then a light BHA (beta hydroxy acid) exfoliator like Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid may be a good (and safe) bet for you.

My experience:

About five months ago I had an awful skin reaction to Stridex Maximum Strength Medicated Pads, also a 2% BHA solution similar to this Paula's Choice one. The hollows of my cheeks broke out in a whole bunch of tiny closed comedones, which I at first attributed to purging (I had this happen on a smaller scale when I first tried the Oil Cleansing Method. After a week or so the little whiteheads went away and never came back). Three weeks later, my skin was the worst I had ever seen. Bumpy and red and acne-like, but not painful like cystic acne. I stopped using the Stridex immediately and the "purging" (it was a skin reaction, I realized) stopped as well.

One month later, the redness swelled down and I was left with tons of deep blackheads and hyper-pigmentation spots from my...picking (I know, I know). So I bought this Paula's Choice BHA Liquid. Lifesaver. Seriously, lifesaver. Turns out I was allergic to the menthol/fragrance ingredient in the Stridex. That's what I get for trying to save money. Ugh, there's not even a lesson here, because I know from experience that good things don't always come with high price tags. Tiny disclaimer: if you're wondering why I put a link to something that failed so spectacularly for me, it's because if you know you're NOT allergic to menthol/fragrance, then it can be a great alternative to this pricier Paula's Choice product (~$4.28 here vs. $23). Just a heads up!


Why BHA?

The best thing about a good BHA (aka salicylic acid) is that it is oil soluble. That means that it penetrate into your oily pore and clean out all that nasty p. acnes bacteria. Unfortunately most brands on the market put salicylic acid a) in a cleanser that you rinse off immediately,  or b) in a super drying formula. The first is misleading; BHA needs 30 minutes to activate. Unless you're walking around with bubbles on your face for that long, putting it in a cleanser is makes it useless.

That's why I think the Skin Perfecting Liquid works. It's more like a toner. You use it after cleansing normally and you leave it on. You can see from the picture below that its quite watery and that it blends out into practically nothing.


My Routine:

To use I basically cleanse my face as usual, dry it off completely, and put a quarter size amount of the BHA Liquid on a cotton pad (I get mine in packs of 200 from CVS) and wipe my face, concentrating on areas I have blackheads. After about 10-15 minutes (sorry, but yes, this is a minimum necessary wait time) of just wandering around my house, I put on moisturizer. I do this only as my bedtime routine, and have been doing this daily for about four months since the Stridex incident. Since then, my face has cleared up almost completely. Mind you, it's not a miracle worker; I still have some stubborn blackheads on my cheeks that hate me, but it is much, much, much better.





These cotton pads are great because they are thin and don't soak up much product.





Pros:

  • Non-drying formula
  • Clear liquid
  • 118ml/4oz lasted me about 4 months of daily use
  • Zero fragrance
  • No extraneous irritants

Cons:

  • Need a good sunscreen afterwards, but this is true for all BHAs and exfoliants. Exfoliants do what they say they do--expose newer skin underneath. Do protect your skin from sun damage!
  • Don't use this if you are allergic to aspirin and its other derivatives.

Ingredients:

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

Final Thoughts:

Nothing but good words. The very basic ingredients you need to exfoliate your skin without the common irritants/fillers found in other brands. If you have sensitive skin, this is the formula for you!

0 barkbacks:

Post a Comment